Sunday, August 25, 2013

Popsicles Can be STICKY



I'll start off with an entertaining story from my time here at the MTC: 
I was going to eat a Popsicle and went to lick it. As I was going into the lick, my tongue hit it more than I expected and got stuck. That was embarrassing a bit. And like 5 people in my district were laughing and laughing and dying. They were like "put it in your mouth and it'll melt off of your tongue!" And I'm like Absolutely not. But they insisted it would work. So I eventually caved (since about half of my tongue was stuck and my tongue was freezing) and drew my tongue back into my mouth and closed it. And my entire mouth sealed to the Popsicle. Shut. Frozen shut around a Popsicle. I was so upset. I knew it was a terrible idea and did it anyway.... So then everyone in the caff near by me was laughing and looking and telling me one hundred different things to do to get myself unfrozen. So i started dripping water off my finger all around my lips and then tongue until I was free. And that all happened in under two minutes, so as you might imagine my tongue was mighty cold. as were my lips. It was an experience. 
And now I'll tell a stinkin' awesome story: 
In the MTC we do this thing every week called TRC. It's basically us talking in Portuguese to member who come and volunteer. Kind of like what the missionaries do after dinner at member's houses. They share a thought and whatever. So we were doing our first one last Friday and we hadn't really prepared anything because we had just finished prepping and teaching a lesson for one of our investigators. So we were like "quick! What do we talk about??" We decided on the Book of Mormon. So We had to go in like under a minute and we were scrambling for a scripture to help in the message we were sharing. So I was like "oh Mosiah 2:41!" Because I love that one. And so we found it, read it in Port really quick, and went off. We got in with the first guy and were chatting it up and then moved into what we were talking about: The Livro de Mormon. And Sister Mapa, along the beginning, decided to ask what his favorite verse in the BOM was. He was like "um.... em Mosiah.... capitulo dois...." And me and Sister Auna were like oh sakesssssss... "O ultimo verciculo." And roughly translated that meant: the scripture we had picked out to share. So we kind of like open mouth gasp/laughed for 75 seconds because we couldn't believe that had happened, couldn't remember any Portuguese any more and couldn't decided how to handle the situation in the Portuguese that we couldn't remember. That was one of THE COOLEST teaching experiences so far. 
Also cool story: 
Richard G. Scott came and talked at last Tuesday's devotional. It was the first ever MTC broadcast. So all the MTCs all over the world were either watching live or waiting for it for the next day. It was so inspiring. Twice during the meeting, he bestowed on all the missionaries learning a new language an apostolic blessing that according to our faith we would receive the gift of tongues. Coolest thing ever. And his talk was also pretty stinkin' great too. He is such a great speaker. 
Also, side note... I realized after sending the email talking about the MTC to Travis about the cord was stupid because he is going to Mexico. And not here. So that was dumb of me. My advise probably was lame and invalid for him. But if anyone else is ever entering the Provo MTC, it is very much so a thing. 
I don't have my visa. No one in my large district has. I'm basically just counting on being reassigned. I'm ok with that. I'm actually excited for it. Then I'd have experiences in a stateside and abroad mission and that would be awesome. I mean it'll be sad not to use my Portuguese but I'm not really worried about that. I'm far enough along that I think it'd be easy to pick up again. When I'm reading t, I'm basically pro. I noticed that this last week. I can read and basically understand everything that is going on. I love that. It's so evident that I am having help from on High to be able to speak this language. I love Portuguese. Things make sense in it. I find scriptures and I love them so much more in Port. I'm pretty sure I was supposed to be born into the Portuguese language but that there was a mix up, I came to English and so now I'm catching up with destiny and learning Portuguese. I love it so much. I cannot wait to learn even more. 
It's crazy to think I've been here for basically half my time. It feels like I just got here and it also feels like I've been here for forever. I love it though. As much as one can love the MTC. Something that is sad around here is that there aren't any good days and there aren't any bad days, just good moments and bad moments. That is the truest thing I'm heard about the MTC. Everyday is filled with so many different things that you really can't say any particular day was a good day. But There are always tender mercies and the smallest blessings throughout the day that counter the moments when you are hungry or tired or worried about anything. Those good moments are the best. Especially since being hungry and tired happens quite often. We, as visa waiters, are just thrown into the schedule wherever they can fit us. Which means getting up half an hour earlier than the rest of the campus. SO I, as a person who values and needs more than 8 hours of sleep to function cheerfully and correctly throughout a day, is going off of about 7 hours by the time I fall asleep after lights out each day. This has been one struggle but it is all working out. 
I Hope all is going well back wherever you all are. Have a great day! 

Sister Damstedt

Here is a picture of the food I get to eat. It's not bad. Today's lunch (pictured) was actually SO GOOD. I enjoyed this meal thoroughly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment